Dangerous heat wave affects U.S. and other parts of the world. Photo: AP
New York, July 2 (RHC)-- In climate news, the central and eastern United States experienced what forecasters are calling a “dangerous and oppressive heat wave” this weekend that included record high temperatures, with a heat index in Chicago of 115 degrees. On Monday, the high temperature in New York City nearly reached 100º.
In China, a heat wave continued to bake Shanghai, Beijing and other northern cities, forcing the country to speed imports of liquefied natural gas to meet rising energy demand for air conditioners.
Meanwhile, parts of Great Britain recorded their hottest temperatures ever measured in June last week. In Scotland, the roof of the Glasgow Science Centre began oozing tar as parts of the structure melted in the unprecedented heat.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 29, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 28, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 28, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6057
- today: 4295
- online: 169
- total: 8252925