As part of celebrations marking the 500th anniversary of the city’s establishment, the Metropolitan Cathedral of the central eastern city of Camagüey received the tile of Minor Basilica by decree of Pope Francis I.
This is the fourth Cuban church that has been granted the category, including the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Charity of EL Cobre in Santiago de Cuba; the church of Our Lady of the Charity of El Cobre in Havana and the church of Baracoa in Guantanamo.
The Cathedral was granted the title because the church has been linked to the five centuries in the history of Camagüey which will mark its 500th birthday on February 2nd.
Built and rebuilt on various occasions, the religious facility was granted the title of Cathedral by Pope Pious X, on December 10th, 1912, and of Metropolitan Cathedral by John Paul II in 1998, when Camagüey was named an archdiocese.
- Cuba denounces maneuvers in Peru
- Cuban civil society thinks about America
- Cuban civil society debates agenda of upcoming Summit of the Americas
- Kenyan business executive says Cuba is a great place
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Manipulated minds can equal secured votes
NUMBER OF HITS/VISITORS
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3909
- today: 4098
- online: 136
- total: 4481687