Omara Portuondo: the Diva of the 'Buena Vista Social Club'
Havana, May 24 (RHC)—Cuban President, Miguel Díaz-Canel, has congratulated Omara Portuondo, to whom the Japanese government granted the Order of the Rising Son, Golden Rays with Rosette. In his Twitter account, the Cuban President wrote: 'Japanese government grants Omara Portuondo, the Diva of the Buena Vista Social Club, the Order of the Rising Son, Golden Rays with Rosette,’ adding ‘Congratulations Maestra'.
The ‘Diva del Buena Vista Social Club’, as Portuondo is known worldwide, contributed with her art to strengthen the cultural bonds between the Japanese and Cuban peoples, despite the geographic distance separating the two countries. The Order of the Rising Son, Golden Rays with Rosette, was established by Emperor Meiji, Mutsu-Hito, on April 10, 1875, and is the second top order in Japan. Such distinction is granted to recognize the special military and civil services rendered to Japan, and as of 1981 it can be conferred upon foreigners with a diploma signed by the Emperor.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5024
- today: 2346
- online: 166
- total: 6653411