Cuban National Ballet Company Director, ballet legend Alicia Alonso, is celebrating her 95th birthday with a “Master of Generations” Gala at Havana’s National Theater on Sunday.
The gala includes important pieces that were part of the great ballet dancer’s career and repertoire, including Giselle, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, La fille mal gardée and Carmen. The show is artistically directed by Alberto Méndez, former Cuban National Ballet Company dancer and choreographer.
The main parts will be danced by Cuban ballet company premier dancers and principals, such as Anette Delgado, Sadaise Arencibia, Estheysis Menéndez, Jessie Domínguez, Dani Hernández and Víctor Estévez, supported by soloists and corps de ballet members. Live music will be played by Havana’s Alicia Alonso Grand Theater Symphony. In September the Cuban government renamed the emblematic theater after the living Cuban dance legend to pay tribute to the great performer.
Alicia Alonso is considered one of the greatest dancers of all times, who placed Cuba on the world’s ballet scene with the establishment of the Cuban National Ballet Company, along with Fernando and Alberto Alonso, and the Cuban Ballet School, along with the Alonso’s and other collaborators.
- Cuban president begins two-day working visit to Camagüey
- MarCuba 2018: time to turn the tide and change direction towards protecting the oceans
- Havana gears up to host Cuba's main trade event
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Migrant caravan moves north towards U.S.-Mexico Border
- Homero Acosta: The Cuban Communist Party must abide by the Constitution and uphold it
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3332
- today: 2444
- online: 134
- total: 5251780