The 25th International Book Fair Cuba 2016 opened at Havana's La Cabaña Fortress with the attendance of First Cuban Vice-President, Miguel Díaz Canel, and his Uruguayan counterpart Raúl Sendic.
With over 900 new literary works on display and for sale and the participation of 70 Cuban publishing houses and 37 from around the world, the fair is considered the most important cultural event in Cuba. Some 317 international guests, including 175 authors, are expected to be part in the fair that will run in the Cuban capital until February 21.
This year’s cultural gathering is dedicated to poetess, Lina de Feria, and researcher and ethnologist, Rogelio Martinez Furé, who was recently presented with the National Literature Award. Uruguay is the guest country, which is bringing 31 attractive literary works produced in the past few decades. The fair is also paying tribute to renowned late Uruguayan authors, Mario Benedetti and Eduardo Galiano, who had very closed ties with the Havana-based cultural institution Casa de Las Americas.
The gathering includes a series of workshops dedicated to the 130th anniversary of the end of slavery in Cuba, the 400th anniversary of the death of Garcilaso de la Vega and the 100th birthday of Cuban writer, José Soler Puig.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4132
- today: 2143
- online: 134
- total: 6745222