Sept 26, -- Canada's women's basketball team defeated Cuba, 53-40, on Wednesday and finish the group stage undefeated at the FIBA Americas Championship for Women.
Guard Kia Nurse of Hamilton added 13 points, four rebounds and three assists as Canada finished with a record of 4-0, good for first in Group A. Canada will play the second-place team from Group B in Friday's semifinals.
The top three teams in Mexico earn a spot in the 2014 world tournament in Istanbul.
Canada had been convincing in its first three wins of the tournament, but started sluggish against Cuba and trailed 17-9 after the first quarter.
Canada's shooters started to find their form in the second quarter, outscoring Cuba 32-13 and taking a 32-30 lead into halftime.
Canada went cold in the third with just eight points, but still managed to pad its lead. The Canadian defence held Cuba to a single basket in the quarter.
The Canadians closed the match by winning the fourth quarter 13-8. /SOURCE: The Canadian Press
- President Raúl Castro Meets with Visiting Counterpart from Serbia
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Protests and Repression Continue in Argentina
- Cuba Renews Its Solidarity with Venezuela at ALBA-TCP Political Council
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban Parliament President Esteban Lazo Meets with Serbian President
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4241
- today: 872
- online: 207
- total: 4101068