Havana, Oct 26 (RHC-ACN)-- Cuban GM Leinier Dominguez will attend the 2017 Champions Showdown, tournament that includes eight elite star players from November 9 to 14 and hosted by the St. Louis Chess Club in United States.
The event will have a format of four independent matches, all with 30 games (10 of rapid and 20 of blitz), and marks the return of Dominguez after the Grand Prix held in that same city last August.
The leader of the Latin American ranking (2 739 Elo points) will face American Wesley So (2 788) as part of a tournament that seems to be a big show.
According to the official website of the contest, the protagonists of the other three matches will be the Norwegian world champion Magnus Carlsen (2 826) against Chinese Ding Liren (2 777), American Fabiano Caruana (2 794) versus Russian Alexander Grischuk (2 785) and the also local Hikaru Nakamura (2 774) against Bulgarian Veselin Topalov (2 749).
According to the contest basis, each match is like an individual tournament, so in the end there will be four winners of the sui generis event, even each winner will earn $ 60 000.
Dominguez and So have faced each other three times, always in classic games and the balance is of 1.5 points for each side, according to statistics site www.chessgames.com.
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3948
- today: 700
- online: 93
- total: 4831434