Pope Salutes High Jump World Record-Holder Javier Sotomayor Photo: @Notimex Twitter
Vatican City, May 3 (RHC)-- Pope Francis Wednesday saluted the Cuban former high jumper and world record-holder of that specialty, Javier Sotomayor, in St. Peter's Square.
Sotomayor was also accompanied by Cuban Luis Enrique Zayas, high jump world under-20 champion, coach Barbaro Diaz Castro and Fabrizio Donato, former Italian long jumper and triple jumper, who currently acts as captain of the national team of light athletics.
After greeting the Supreme Pontiff, the group was received at the headquarters of the Pontifical Council for Culture by executives of the Vatican Athletics, the sporting body of the Holy See.
- 16th Summit of ALBA Heads of State and Government held in Havana
- Havana becomes the capital of regional integration once again
- The bigger they are the harder they fall!
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- U.S. scholar: regarding the health incidents, Cuba has acted in an honorable, legal manner, whereas the United States has not
- Cuba-CARICOM Day celebrated in Havana
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2820
- today: 2662
- online: 132
- total: 5439384