Pope Salutes High Jump World Record-Holder Javier Sotomayor Photo: @Notimex Twitter
Vatican City, May 3 (RHC)-- Pope Francis Wednesday saluted the Cuban former high jumper and world record-holder of that specialty, Javier Sotomayor, in St. Peter's Square.
Sotomayor was also accompanied by Cuban Luis Enrique Zayas, high jump world under-20 champion, coach Barbaro Diaz Castro and Fabrizio Donato, former Italian long jumper and triple jumper, who currently acts as captain of the national team of light athletics.
After greeting the Supreme Pontiff, the group was received at the headquarters of the Pontifical Council for Culture by executives of the Vatican Athletics, the sporting body of the Holy See.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 1666
- online: 139
- total: 5645813