Barranquilla, August 1 (RHC)-- Cuba has climbed up to number 2 in the medal table of the Central American and Caribbean Games, displacing Colombia from the position. The island is only surpassed now by Mexico, a country that appears to stand firm at number one.
The advantage for Cuba over Colombia came with three gold medals won Tuesday morning by Fernando Jorge and Fidel Vargas in canoeing.
Late Tuesday night Cuba defeated Mexico in men's basketball 78 to 67, in what has been the Cubans’ best game in recent times, against a Mexican squad that was regarded as the games’ favorite, with the strongest roster of all seven participating teams.
Cuba is now scheduled to go against Colombia as it aims to reach the basketball final of the Central American and Caribbean Games.
The Central American and Caribbean Games have throughout history been dominated by Mexico and Cuba in the first two places.
- Anayansi Rodriguez: Fidel taught us to defend peace and noble causes around the world
- Fernández de Cossío: the current U.S. government wrongly believe that they can reedit the Monroe Doctrine in our region
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Courage and loyalty in the face of lies and aggression
- Cuba and Puerto Rico: Two wings of the same bird
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3053
- today: 2554
- online: 100
- total: 5855901