Roberto León Richards. Photo: Roberto Morejón
Havana, October 2 (RHC)-- Former gymnast, Roberto León Richards, has been elected President of Cuba's Olympic Committee, during a regular meeting of the organization.
Richards, also president of the Cuban Gymnastics Federation, was elected by direct and secret vote, taking over from José Ramón Fernández, who had held the position since 1997.
Alberto Juantorena and José Manuel Pelaes were appointed Vice Presidents of the Committee, while Ruperto Herrera and Rafael Guerra, were reelected as Secretary General and Records Secretary, respectively.
The 13-member executive also received new members including retired and active athletes such as, Mijaín López, Leuris Pupo, Yipsy Moreno and María Caridad Colón.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4132
- today: 2290
- online: 144
- total: 6745369