Panamanians celebrate their victory
Panama City, February 11 (RHC)—Cuba´s representative to the 2019 Caribbean Series, Los Leñadores de las Tunas, was defeated at the final game by Panama´s Los Toros de Herrera 3-1 on Sunday.
It was Panama´s second ever victory at the tournament and first since 1950.
Panama participated in the series for the first time since 1960 only after the Caribbean Professional Baseball Leagues moved the contest out of Venezuela due to security concerns shortly before it began. With Panama hosting, the Toros de Herrera were invited to play as a guest.
The Cubans won their last title in 2015 and were looking to add a fourth championship in Panamanian soil, where they were the champions in 1952, 1956 and 1960.
At the end of the match the tournament´s All-Star team was announced, and it included two Cubans: outfielder Alfredo Despaigne and right-handed pitcher Lázaro Blanco.
The slugger Despaigne, averaged for 350, 20-7, with pair of doubles and five driven.
For his part, Blanco reached two victories in the contest and in twelve innings of work did not admit runs, neither clean nor dirty, with only eight hits tolerated, he struck out eight opponents and gave away four bases.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 2176
- online: 150
- total: 5646323