Havana, April 1 (RHC)-- Ivan Silva (90 kilos) earned the title of the 2019 IJF Tbilisi Grand Prix, in Georgia, thus placing Cuba fifth in the medal table of the contest led by France, which accumulated three gold, one silver and three bronze medals.
According to the website of the tournament, the six Cuban judokas, three men and three women who attended the tough tournament, were also surpassed by the hosts (2-2-6), Netherlands (2-1-3) and Kosovo (2- 0-0), in order.
Silva, Baku 2018 world runner-up and fifth in the world ranking, beat in the final the host Giorgi Papanashvili, who repeated the silver he won in this same event last year.
This Sunday, the Cuba woman Kaliema Antomarchi (78), 2017 world bronze medalist, also reached the final where she lost to Loriana Kuka, from Kosovo.
Cuba´s performance also included a silver and a bronze medal achieved by Magdiel Estrada (73) and Maylin del Toro (63), respectively, while Anailis Dorvigni (57) lost in her first bout, and man Osniel Solis (66) lost by forfeit.
The other four nations that won titles were Israel (1-1-0), Portugal (1-0-2), Russia (1-0-1) and Italy (1-0-1), occupants of the seats from sixth to ninth.
The 2019 IJF Tbilisi Grand Prix gathered 372 judokas from 52 countries.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5179
- today: 3631
- online: 147
- total: 6669627