Havana, April 1 (RHC)-- Ivan Silva (90 kilos) earned the title of the 2019 IJF Tbilisi Grand Prix, in Georgia, thus placing Cuba fifth in the medal table of the contest led by France, which accumulated three gold, one silver and three bronze medals.
According to the website of the tournament, the six Cuban judokas, three men and three women who attended the tough tournament, were also surpassed by the hosts (2-2-6), Netherlands (2-1-3) and Kosovo (2- 0-0), in order.
Silva, Baku 2018 world runner-up and fifth in the world ranking, beat in the final the host Giorgi Papanashvili, who repeated the silver he won in this same event last year.
This Sunday, the Cuba woman Kaliema Antomarchi (78), 2017 world bronze medalist, also reached the final where she lost to Loriana Kuka, from Kosovo.
Cuba´s performance also included a silver and a bronze medal achieved by Magdiel Estrada (73) and Maylin del Toro (63), respectively, while Anailis Dorvigni (57) lost in her first bout, and man Osniel Solis (66) lost by forfeit.
The other four nations that won titles were Israel (1-1-0), Portugal (1-0-2), Russia (1-0-1) and Italy (1-0-1), occupants of the seats from sixth to ninth.
The 2019 IJF Tbilisi Grand Prix gathered 372 judokas from 52 countries.
- Cuba and Puerto Rico: Two wings of the same bird
- Fermín Quiñones: Helms-Burton is against the international community
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- Anayansi Rodriguez: Fidel taught us to defend peace and noble causes around the world
- Fernández de Cossío: the current U.S. government wrongly believe that they can reedit the Monroe Doctrine in our region
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2630
- today: 1167
- online: 110
- total: 5865570