Havana, August 28 (RHC) – Pan-Am champion, Cuban Maylin del Toro, may win this Wednesday the first medal for Cuba in the Judo World Championship that takes place in Tokyo, Japan, until next August 31.
Winner in the Judo Grand Prix in Antalya, and Bronze medalist in the same competition in Tbilisi and Budapest, 63kg athlete del Toro will try to improve her 5th place from last World Championship and to win her first medal in this type of competitions since 2013.
10th place in the World’s Power Ranking, the 24-year old Cuban will step to the canvas to face the winner of the bout between Israeli Gili Sharir and Mongolian Mungunchimeg Baldorj.
Maylin del Toro is in pool A of the competition and if she advances to the Quarter-Finals, she may face the reigning champion and number 1 ranked Judo artist, the French Clarisse Agbegnenou.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4501
- today: 569
- online: 111
- total: 6627961