Sept 28, -- The Cuban judoka Magdiel Estrada, in the 73-kg. division, will leads the men’s national team at the World Junior Judo Championship, set for October 23rd-27th in Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia.
According to José Ibáñez, coach of the Cuban preliminary team, Estrada is the judoka with the best chance of victory after his recent participation in the world tournament for adults in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
In his world debut, the 19-year-old athlete achieved 2 victories, over Canadian Alexis Morin-Martel and Colombian Luis Galindo; however, he fell to a penalty in his match against Dutch Dex Elmont, who eventually won the bronze medal.
Another Cuban judoka with international competition experience is Iván Ernesto Silva (81 kg) in the Cadet category, who recently participated in the tournament in that division in Miami, the United States.
In this category, Silva defeated Belarusian Ruslan Knolik by a yuko and Costa Rican David Guillén by an ippon; however, he later lost to Dutch Frank De Wit, who won the silver medal.
The Cuban national youth team also features newcomers Alex García and Onier Blanco (100 kg), and Norlandis Soler (+100 kg).
- Cuban civil society debates agenda of upcoming Summit of the Americas
- Kenyan business executive says Cuba is a great place
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- Manipulated minds can equal secured votes
- Cuba pledges continued use of ITs for social justice goals
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Duo Buena Fe)
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3909
- today: 3083
- online: 139
- total: 4480672