Nov 7, -- Jorge Fuentes, who has managed Cuba's championship-winning national baseball team for many years, will manage the Mexican pro baseball team Los Piratas de Campeche in the 2014 Season, the Cuban Baseball Federation has announced.
Fuentes, the most successful baseball coach in the history of Cuba's national championships, replaces Roque Sanchez with the goal of improving the Los Piratas de Campeche's performance and getting the team to the playoffs.
Los Piratas were champions of the Mexican League in 1983 and 2004, but finished in 7th in the southern zone for the 2013 Season.
The 2014 Season in Mexico begins in early April, with 16 teams equally distributed in the northern and southern zones.
Fuentes has led his Cuban players to 10 titles: 5 National Championships, 5 in the Selective Baseball Series, 2 Olympic titles (Barcelona 1992 and Atlanta 1996) and 2 World Championship titles.
In recent Seasons, several great Cuban players have decided to play for Los Piratas, including Pedro Luis Lazo (pitcher), Michel Enriquez (3rd baseman), Yordanis Samon (1st baseman) and outfielder and slugger Alfredo Despaigne.
Previously, Victor Mesa, current manager of the Cuban national team, was the manager of the Mexican professional teams of Los Aguilas Rojas de Veracruz, and Los Peroleros de Minatitlan.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4683
- today: 4994
- online: 191
- total: 6651035