Havana, November 19 (RHC)-- The efforts and sacrifices by Cuban athletes and trainers and the victories in international meets that they have brought home to their people were praised at a ceremony in Havana on the occasion the National Day of Physical Education and Sports.
“Thanks to them, Cuba shines brightly in the global sports world”, said Christian Jimenez, Chairman of the National Institute for Physical Education, Sports and Recreation, known in Cuba by its acronym INDER.
The ceremony was held at Havana’s Sports City and included a simultaneous chess game with Cuban Masters Leinier Dominguez and Lázaro Bruzon.
Medals honoring Cuban athletes that died in the terrorist bombing of a Cubana airliner when they returned home after competitions abroad were awarded to outstanding athletes.
Also rewarded were trainers and other personnel involved in the preparation of athletes for twenty or more years of service to the advancement of sports in Cuba.
- Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel receives WHO and PAHO directors
- U.S. activist: Unity, the most important five-letter word in the Cuban Revolution
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- WHO director-general: Cuba is an example for many countries
- Evo Morales ratifies Bolivia's support for Cuba
- Bolivian president Evo Morales begins official visit
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4121
- today: 1099
- online: 92
- total: 4610025