Cuba got another fruitful harvest on Monday at the XVII Pan-American Games Toronto 2015, highlighting the modalities of diving, canoeing, rowing and weightlifting.
Cuban boating opened today's session with its 5th gold medal, this time in the women's K-2 at 500 meters where the pair of Yusmari Mengana and Yurieni Guerra won the title with 1.48.653 min., to relegate to the silver medal the Argentines Sabrina Ameghino and Alexa Keresztesi (1.49.485).
At the same time, Cuban couple Yislena Hernandez and Licet Hernandez broke US hegemony in the 2 pairs of lightweight short oars modality to get silver, an event won by Canada.
With these results, Cuba dawned in the Standing on Tuesday in 3rd place with 10 gold, 8 silver and 8 bronze medals.
With the official handover of the fully refurbished Pascual Guerrero Olympic Stadium in Cali, Colombia, all preparations for the start tomorrow of the IAAF IX World Youth Championships Cali 2015 are now completed.
Thus, a new synthetic track was reinstalled in addition to modern electric lighting networks, while transmission booths, stands and outdoor areas also received a capital restoration.
PASO President Congrats Cubans' Performance at Pan-Am Games
The president of the Pan-American Sports Organization (PASO), Julio Maglione, congratulated in Canada the performance by Cuban athletes at the Toronto Games, especially divers Jose Antonio Guerra and Jeinkler Aguirre.
Cuba is a sports country, PASO president told Cuban Prensa Latina news agency, shortly after concluding the awards ceremony for 10m platform men synchronized diving, widely won by the Cubans.
Maglione said he remembered having seen Guerra several times in different competitions, "a 30 something year old athlete who is always among first and never loose," he noted before considering it as an example for the sport.
Regarding the development of this new edition of the Pan-American Games, he said he was very pleased.
The PASO president also said that the Pan-American Games transcend the performances at stadiums to become a true party of the Americas, "which serves to unite, respect and love each other.”
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3174
- today: 2073
- online: 133
- total: 5046411