Havana, March 18th (RHC) The president of the Cuban National Baseball Federation (FCB), Higinio Velez, assured his nation today that Cuba would, "go back to being one of the main countries in the sport."
"Cuba has the right conditions to organize classic baseball tournaments." Velez told local Prensa Latina news agency.
This is one of the main reasons for the re-structuring and remodeling of the Latinoamericano Stadium in the Cuban capital, which will host a friendly match between the MLB team Tampa Day Devil Rays (American League) and the Cuban national team on the 22nd of March.
Former MLB Cuban-born players, Luis Tiant (former pitcher) and José Cardenal (former outfielder), together with New York Yankees retired captain Derek Jeter (US), will come to Cuba as part of the match.
"We will not only raise the level of Cuban sport, but we will honor the quality and history of our baseball by becoming a new high quality venue for events" said Velez to local and international press media at the Latinoamericano Stadium.
"To achieve this goal, it is indispensable to have a stadium that meets the current technical requirements," he added.
- Cuba strongly rejects inclusion in arbitrary US Report on Trafficking in Persons
- EU commissioner for international cooperation says ties with Cuba have evolved to higher levels
- Business executive says Cuba is a very popular resort among Europeans
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- US academic not surprised that Trump Administration has made it more difficult for Americans to travel to Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2951
- today: 2043
- online: 142
- total: 6063121