Washington, October 4 (RHC)-- U.S. President Barack Obama cancelled his trip to the APEC summit in Indonesia amid a federal government shutdown that is now in its fourth day. Republicans have continued to insist on defunding or delaying Obama’s health care law as a condition for funding the federal government.
Lawmakers are also facing a looming deadline of October 17th to raise the nation’s debt ceiling or risk default. According to the New York Times, House Speaker John Boehner has told colleagues he is determined to pass a debt-limit increase, but he has previously said the hike should be tied to spending cuts.
House Republicans have scheduled a vote on a bill sponsored by some top Democrats to provide missed pay to 800,000 federal workers furloughed under the shutdown.
- Sao Paulo Forum pledges regional unity and integration
- Dilma Rousseff: Lula is our hope
- Trump announces that he will seek re-election
- Fidel Castro: Neoliberalism is nobody's alternative
- Ralph Gonsalves urges regional unity toward peace and sustainable development
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4070
- today: 368
- online: 106
- total: 4932141