Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos
Bogota, October 5 (RHC)-- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has announced the end of a ceasefire with his country's rebel movement, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-Peoples Army, FARC-EP. The Colombian president made the announcement Tuesday night during a televised address that "the ceasefire with the FARC only runs until October 31st."
FARC-EP Comandante Timoleon Jimenez had previously said the rebels would continue the cease-fire and would abide by what they had agreed with the Colombian government, despite the fact that a slight majority of Colombians had voted "No" to the peace agreement.
On Monday, Santos sent the government chief of the peace delegation Humberto de la Calle and the Peace High Commissioner Sergio Jaramillo to discuss developments with the rebel peace delegation in Havana.
The number one trend on the social media Twitter was #MantainTheCeaseFire, where users wrote their reason to support the end of hostilities between both sides. Santos also said on Tuesday night that he "hope we can move forward to realize the necessary agreement to find a solution to this conflict."
Santos and former President Alvaro Uribe are planning to meet, according to a tweet posted by Santos earlier Tuesday, in order to find a "constructive" way to peace. Uribe led the "No" campaign against the peace accord between the rebels and the government and has been tied to paramilitary groups in the country who have threatened to kill FARC-EP leaders if they were to demobilize. Santos said he would also be meeting with former head of state and "No" campaigner, Andres Pastrana.
- The Troika of Tyranny: Neoconservatives Take Charge of Trump’s Latin America Policies
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Migration and defense, top issues in European elections
- Cuba and St. Lucia strengthen bilateral ties
- RHC's weekly feature 'My Reflections on the Revolution'
- Has Trump been deceived about Venezuela?
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3645
- today: 1007
- online: 109
- total: 6041839