Damascus, October 24 (RHC)-- Clashes between Syrian government forces and militants have erupted in the divided city of Aleppo after a unilateral ceasefire announced by Russia came to an end.
The ceasefire expired on Saturday evening, after a one-day extension on Friday. The truce was aimed at permitting civilians and foreign-sponsored militants to leave the eastern areas of the city. During the ceasefire, eight humanitarian corridors were set up for people to leave Aleppo, but according to reports they were seldom used.
Chief of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Sergei Rudskoi said that militants were stopping people from using the corridors, using civilians as human shields.
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, fierce clashes broke out along the line dividing the city with exchanges of heavy artillery fire.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 4, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 04, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 03, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 2, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 02, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 30, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5273
- today: 4530
- online: 181
- total: 8270187