Damascus, December 28 (RHC)-- Russia says its embassy in the Syrian capital, Damascus, has been hit by two mortar shells. The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday that an inner yard of the embassy complex had been hit by a shell, while another shell fell near the diplomatic mission.
The Russian foreign ministry said the incident amounted to a provocation aimed at derailing the settlement of peace in Syria.
Moscow has been directly engaged in an anti-terror campaign in Syria since September 2015, based on a request from the Damascus government.
According to analysts, the campaign has largely been successful in helping Syrian government forces dislodge foreign-sponsored terrorists from many regions across the country.
- RHC's national and international news stories Sept. 19
- Miguel Diaz-Canel: Everything that we have achieved must be consolidated
- Imperialism and Revolution /Program 5
- RHC's segment on literature 'From the Bookshelf'
- RHC's Arts Roundup September 19
- Indignation grows over Ayotzinapa disappearances
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4002
- today: 2077
- online: 134
- total: 6386098