Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray
Mexico City, February 24 (RHC)-- The government of Mexico rejects any “unilateral” measures by the administration of President Donald Trump on immigration. Mexico’s reaction followed the U.S. Homeland Security’s unveiling of new details in the administration’s crackdown on immigrants.
According to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, the new executive order emphasizes “the mission of intercepting irregular immigrants from many countries on our borders, treat them humanely and return them to their countries of origin as fast as possible."
But Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray asserted that guidelines issued by the department earlier this week, as part of Trump's new order, are not acceptable. "I want to say clearly and emphatically that the government of Mexico and the Mexican people do not have to accept provisions that one government unilaterally wants to impose on the other," Videgaray told reporters in Mexico City. "We also have control of our borders and we will exercise it fully."
Meanwhile, Kelly and the top American diplomat, State Secretary Rex Tillerson, went to the southern neighbor to discuss the situation. White House spokesman Sean Spicer said he expected a "great discussion" with the Mexicans, describing ties with the country as “phenomenal.”
"It's significant that the president is sending the secretaries to Mexico so early in the administration. It's symbolic of the meaningful relationship that our two nations have," Spicer told reporters. "These are important meetings regarding the president's agenda to improve the quality of lives for both people of Mexico and the United States by combating drug traffickers and finding ways to bolster both our economies through a broader relationship that promotes commerce and legal immigration."
Several U.S. officials have so far rejected the idea that the guidelines, signed by Kelly, are tantamount to mass deportation of undocumented immigrants. Since Trump’s grip on power after the 2016 presidential vote, ties between U.S. and Mexico have been centered on the new president’s proposal to build a wall on the southern border and force Mexico to pay for it.
According to Spicer, Trump’s new executive order will be issued "sometime next week." Trump’s first order for travel bans on seven Muslim-majority countries was suspended via a federal court ruling. It aimed at imposing a 90-day entry ban on citizens from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia, block refugees from Syria indefinitely, and suspend all refugee admissions for 120 days.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 4, 20200
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 04, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 3, 20200
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 03, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 02, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran June 1, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6525
- today: 4575
- online: 192
- total: 8089703