Tripoli, May 22 (RHC)-- More than 5,000 refugees bound for Italy have been rescued in waters off the coast of Libya over the past several days by Italian and Libyan coastguards, statements from both countries say.
The number of refugees arriving in Italy has soared this year by more than 30 percent in comparison with the same period last year, with 46,000 people arriving so far.
But of every 39 refugees, who survive the perilous journey across the Mediterranean, one dies, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said, adding that 1,244 refugees were known to have died so far this year.
- Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves on Fidel Castro
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Nicaraguan University Grants Posthumous Honorary Doctorate to Fidel Castro
- New Elections in Germany?
- Cuba Says EU Sanctions Are Foreign Interference in Venezuela
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4687
- today: 4774
- online: 192
- total: 4007854