Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif
Ankara, June 8 (RHC)-- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has condemned Wednesday’s terror attacks in Tehran, warning about the rise of terrorism as a serious threat to global security.
Zarif, who arrived in Turkey on Wednesday for an official visit, denounced the “indiscriminate” terror attacks and said terrorism was threatening the Middle East and the rest of the world.
“Very grave conditions are prevailing in the region" in the in terms of security, Zarif said at Ankara’s Esenboga Airport.
Earlier on Wednesday, gunmen stormed Iran’s Parliament (Majlis) and the mausoleum of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini in two coordinated attacks claimed by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group. According to the emergency services chief, 12 people have been killed and over 40 others wounded in the twin assaults.
After the attacks ended, the Interior Ministry issued a statement, elaborating on the terror incidents. According to the statement, the first terror group, comprised of two people, entered the mausoleum at around 10:30 a.m. local time (0500 GMT). The first terrorist blew up his explosives, but the second was killed during firefight with security forces.
Concurrently with the attack at the mausoleum, the second terror team made up of four terrorists sought to enter the administrative building of the parliament but were confronted by security forces, the statement said.
The ministry added that one terrorist blew his explosives up while the three others were killed in shootouts during clashes with security forces as they were seeking to reach upper floors of the parliament building.
- Cuba supports projects to address climate change across Caribbean region
- Kenyan president inaugurates his country's embassy in Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- The most persecuted people in the world
- Kenyan President visits Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3641
- today: 2640
- online: 114
- total: 4461641