Washington, June 15 (RHC)-- U.S. President Donald Trump has given the Pentagon new powers to decide the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, meaning thousands more U.S. soldiers could be deployed.
The authorization came the same day Defense Secretary Jim Mattis testified to the Senate Armed Services Committee.
There are currently about 8,400 U.S. troops in Afghanistan. The war in Afghanistan is the longest war in U.S. history, beginning with the U.S. invasion in 2001.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4501
- today: 4053
- online: 163
- total: 6631445