New York, February 7 (RHC)-- In the U.S. state of New York, lawmakers are seeking passage of a bill that would block financing for academic groups that boycott academic institutions in Israel.
The measure was introduced after the American Studies Association’s recent vote to boycott Israeli universities over Israel’s treatment of Palestinians.
The bill passed the New York State Senate last week, but appears to have stalled for now in the State Assembly. In an editorial, the New York Times criticized the bill, saying it would “trample on academic freedoms” and “chill free speech and dissent.”
- U.S. congressional delegation wraps up visit to Cuba
- Activists urge protest actions to demand closure of Guantánamo Naval Base
- Argentina, in the claws of the vultures!
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with President Raúl Castro, speaks to the media in Havana
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3864
- today: 2238
- online: 122
- total: 4380224