Washington, August 24 (RHC)-- More information is emerging about the deliberations that led to President Trump’s new commitment to the ongoing war in Afghanistan, the longest war in U.S. history.
In a televised address Monday night, President Trump announced the U.S. is doubling down on the war, a reversal from his earlier position that "we should leave Afghanistan immediately." The Washington Post reports that one of the arguments that swayed Trump’s position was a 1972 photo, shown to the president by national security adviser H.R. McMaster, of Afghan women wearing miniskirts walking through Kabul. McMaster reportedly used the photo to convince Trump that "western values" — or at least outfits — could exist in Afghanistan.
In response, Afghan journalist Ali Latifi, who is based in Kabul, said the use of the photo was sexist, saying: "But then again, it’s the reality host who said 'grab ’em by the pussy.'"
- Some 60 Countries to Attend Havana's International Trade Fair FIHAV
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuba Helps Caribbean States Recover from Devastation Caused by Powerful Hurricanes
- RHC's Segment 'The Real Story'
- RHC's Interview with Patrick Manteiga, Editor and Publisher of La Gaceta Newspaper in Tampa
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4569
- today: 2978
- online: 218
- total: 3851591