Washington, September 4 (RHC)-- In the U.S., Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee are demanding a hearing into why President Donald Trump pardoned the notorious racist Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted of contempt of court for defying a court order to stop his deputies from racial profiling.
All 17 Democratic members of the committee signed a letter to Republican Chair Bob Goodlatte, calling the pardon a "gross injustice" and saying it's "highly problematic for the President to simply dismiss a pending criminal matter." The letter came as a federal judge refused to throw out Arpaio's conviction for contempt of court -- even though Trump's pardon will keep him out of prison -- ordering Arpaio to appear in court on October 4th.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio's attorneys had asked U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton to vacate her finding that Arpaio is guilty of a crime.
celebrate the Eid holiday."
- President Raúl Castro Meets with Visiting Counterpart from Serbia
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Protests and Repression Continue in Argentina
- Cuba Renews Its Solidarity with Venezuela at ALBA-TCP Political Council
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban Parliament President Esteban Lazo Meets with Serbian President
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4241
- today: 1668
- online: 223
- total: 4101864