San Juan, September 22 (RHC)-- In the Caribbean, the death toll from Hurricane Maria rose to 32 as the hurricane’s eye barreled toward the islands of Turks and Caicos as a Category 3 storm.
In Puerto Rico, where local newspapers reported 15 people died, Governor Ricardo Rosselló has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew through Saturday. Island-wide electric and telecommunications blackouts have made it difficult for recovery workers to survey the damage, but parts of Puerto Rico were left underwater in what many compared to last month’s flooding in Texas from Hurricane Harvey.
U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters Puerto Rico had been "totally obliterated," and said he is planning a visit to the island.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5179
- today: 2387
- online: 181
- total: 6668383