Raul Castro (left) and Nicolas Maduro (right) File Photo
Havana, October 17 (RHC)-- Cuban President Raul Castro congratulated his Venezuelan counterpart, Nicolas Maduro, on the occasion of the resounding victory obtained by the Partido Socialista Unido de Venezuela in the regional elections held Sunday.
The ruling party won 17 of the 23 gubernatorial races.
In the message, the Cuban president said that with those results, Venezuela has taught a great lesson on peace, democratic vocation, courage and dignity. He added that the legacy of late President Hugo Chavez is alive and that he and Fidel would be very proud of this victory.
In closing his message, the Cuban leader reiterated Cuba’s solidarity and support to Venezuela.
The newly elected 23 governors will be sworn in today by the Constitutional Assembly. The legislative body will also receive a report by the National Electoral Council on the polls, in which the Socialist party won 75% of the vote.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2933
- today: 1269
- online: 122
- total: 5648349