Sacramento, November 22 (RHC)-- A U.S. federal judge in California has blocked President Donald Trump’s executive order to withhold funding from so-called sanctuary cities. District Judge William Orrick ordered the injunction after ruling it is unconstitutional for the Trump administration to force cities to mobilize local police to cooperate with the federal government’s mass deportation plans.
In other immigration news, the Trump administration has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to allow Trump’s latest travel ban to take effect, following an appeals court ruling last week that blocked part of it from being enacted. This latest travel ban removed Sudan from the original list and added the countries of Chad and North Korea and some government officials from Venezuela.
The latest order also includes restrictions on citizens from Iraq, as well as all citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen and Somalia.
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Attorney Mara Verheyden-Hilliard: The U.S. government has sent a message that the Vienna Convention means NOTHING
- José Pertierra: U.S. security force operation at Venezuelan embassy violates international law
- U.S. medical student says coming back to study in Cuba allowed him to reconnect with his roots
- Migration and defense: main points in European elections
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 2560
- today: 1520
- online: 94
- total: 5936343