San Juan, January 24 (RHC)-- Puerto Rico’s governor says he’s moving to privatize the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, known as PREPA. The electrical authority faced widespread criticism after Hurricane Maria destroyed the island’s power grid, and PREPA’s then-director signed a $300 million contract with a tiny Montana company linked to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke.
Many activists have warned politicians would use Hurricane Maria to privatize the power authority, which is now the largest public power utility in the United States.
- RHC's national and international news stories Jan. 17
- President Diaz-Canel: Trump Administration blames others for its flaws in foreign policy
- Artists attending 35th edition of Jazz Plaza come from around the world
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Visit Cuba
- Notes on the Revolution / Column #58
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 11159
- today: 6240
- online: 232
- total: 7047770