Washington plans to deport Vietnamese immigrants. Photo: Japan Times
Washington, April 18 (RHC)-- The former U.S. ambassador to Vietnam told Reuters that the Trump administration is seeking to deport thousands of Vietnamese immigrants, despite a bilateral agreement that should protect most of them.
Ambassador Ted Osius says many of the immigrants being targeted were supporters of the U.S.-backed former government of South Vietnam, making them likely targets for persecution if they’re deported. Osius says a small number of deportations have already happened, and that Trump’s policy contributed to his decision to resign as U.S. ambassador to Vietnam last October.
- Cuban President winds up government visit to Santiago de Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba insists Washington is manipulating diplomat health incidents
- President Miguel Díaz-Canel congratulates Cuban journalists on Cuban Press Day
- Expert: Title III of Helms-Burton aims to limit Cuba’s access to foreign capital sources
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3540
- today: 1683
- online: 191
- total: 5754057