Chilean police clash with protesters. Photo: Reuters
Santiago de Chile, May 29 (RHC)-- Clashes broke out between demonstrators and riot police in Santiago de Chile on Monday night, during a protest against police violence, organized by students from the National Institute of Chile and their parents.
The protest took place after police conducted a violent evacuation of a university building last week, which was occupied by representatives of a student movement against sexual harassment and violence on campus.
The President of the Human Rights Commission of the Chilean Chamber of Deputies, Carmen Hertz, promised to investigate the police actions after a video was released showing a police officer throwing chairs at young people.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4302
- today: 1619
- online: 143
- total: 6749000