Protesters in Milan against Italy's decision to bar migrants. Photo: Ruptly
Milan, June 13 (RHC)-- Nearly one thousand demonstrators filled Milan's Piazza della Scala on Tuesday in protest against the Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini's decision to close Italian ports to migrant rescue ships.
"We ask to solve problems on the land, not the sea. The sea is the place to rescue people, as soon as possible." said Giorgia Linardi, a member of Sea Watch, a non-profit organization which carries out rescue operations in the Mediterranean.
The migrant rescue ship Aquarius rescued 629 people in two different operations with help from the Italian coastguard. They were due to dock in Sicily, but Salvini responded by closing Italian ports and said Italy would not take the boat or help the migrants, which included women and children.
- Cuban historian: the public debate is a fundamental step in any constitutional reform process
- Cuban media follows closely the public debate on the draft Constitution
- Fidel Castro: “I'm not important. It is the six million Cubans back home that follow this visit who matter to me"
- Eusebio Leal: the public debate on the draft of constitution allows for advancing towards a stronger, more united nation
- Cuban-American: our participation in the constitutional reform process can help us find the way to talk with just one voice
- Cuban-Americans need to put pressure on their senators and congresspeople to change U.S.-policy towards Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3634
- today: 2428
- online: 129
- total: 5043592