Protesters in Milan against Italy's decision to bar migrants. Photo: Ruptly
Milan, June 13 (RHC)-- Nearly one thousand demonstrators filled Milan's Piazza della Scala on Tuesday in protest against the Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini's decision to close Italian ports to migrant rescue ships.
"We ask to solve problems on the land, not the sea. The sea is the place to rescue people, as soon as possible." said Giorgia Linardi, a member of Sea Watch, a non-profit organization which carries out rescue operations in the Mediterranean.
The migrant rescue ship Aquarius rescued 629 people in two different operations with help from the Italian coastguard. They were due to dock in Sicily, but Salvini responded by closing Italian ports and said Italy would not take the boat or help the migrants, which included women and children.
- U.S. Republican lawmakers favor agricultural trade between Cuba and the United States
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Terrible week in Guatemala
- Colombians in awe due to threat of disaster at hidroituango dam
- Cuba condemns OAS' interference in Venezuela's internal affairs
- U.S. imperialism has not succeeded in destroying Puerto Rican nationalism
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3919
- today: 1430
- online: 129
- total: 4836083