Protesters in Milan against Italy's decision to bar migrants. Photo: Ruptly
Milan, June 13 (RHC)-- Nearly one thousand demonstrators filled Milan's Piazza della Scala on Tuesday in protest against the Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini's decision to close Italian ports to migrant rescue ships.
"We ask to solve problems on the land, not the sea. The sea is the place to rescue people, as soon as possible." said Giorgia Linardi, a member of Sea Watch, a non-profit organization which carries out rescue operations in the Mediterranean.
The migrant rescue ship Aquarius rescued 629 people in two different operations with help from the Italian coastguard. They were due to dock in Sicily, but Salvini responded by closing Italian ports and said Italy would not take the boat or help the migrants, which included women and children.
- Cuban president rejects U.S. interference
- Cuban scholar: the Trump administration will fail because they do not understand Cuba's reality
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- In Brazil, weapons may be freely used
- Cuba warns Title III of Helms-Burton would violate international law and trade norms
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3346
- today: 2278
- online: 127
- total: 5553394