Chilean singer/songwriter Victor Jara. Photo: File
Santiago de Chile, July 6 (RHC)-- In Chile, a court has handed 15-year sentences to eight former military officers for the murder of legendary folk singer and activist Victor Jara in September 1973.
In the days after dictator Augusto Pinochet seized power in a U.S.-backed coup, Victor Jara was arrested, tortured and shot 44 times. He was one of thousands of leftist academics and activists imprisoned in a soccer stadium in Santiago de Chile, which has since been renamed Victor Jara Stadium.
- This weekend, Cubans serving abroad will have the opportunity to vote on the country’s new constitution
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba: It is imperative to halt an imperialist military intervention in Venezuela
- President Miguel Diaz-Canel assesses progress of recovery after devastating tornado
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3520
- today: 2313
- online: 169
- total: 5646460