Chilean singer/songwriter Victor Jara. Photo: File
Santiago de Chile, July 6 (RHC)-- In Chile, a court has handed 15-year sentences to eight former military officers for the murder of legendary folk singer and activist Victor Jara in September 1973.
In the days after dictator Augusto Pinochet seized power in a U.S.-backed coup, Victor Jara was arrested, tortured and shot 44 times. He was one of thousands of leftist academics and activists imprisoned in a soccer stadium in Santiago de Chile, which has since been renamed Victor Jara Stadium.
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Cuba ratifies its unwavering support for Nicaragua
- Cuba renews its solidarity with Nicaragua
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Cuban lawmakers studying draft of new Constitution
- Machado Ventura: Unity among the left and progressive forces is urgently needed these days
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3268
- today: 3161
- online: 119
- total: 4946005