Chilean singer/songwriter Victor Jara. Photo: File
Santiago de Chile, July 6 (RHC)-- In Chile, a court has handed 15-year sentences to eight former military officers for the murder of legendary folk singer and activist Victor Jara in September 1973.
In the days after dictator Augusto Pinochet seized power in a U.S.-backed coup, Victor Jara was arrested, tortured and shot 44 times. He was one of thousands of leftist academics and activists imprisoned in a soccer stadium in Santiago de Chile, which has since been renamed Victor Jara Stadium.
- Communist Party leader Raúl Castro welcomes President Miguel Díaz-Canel upon his return from international tour
- First group of doctors withdrawn from Brazil arrives in Havana
- RHC's Segment on Literature 'From The Bookshelf'
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- President Díaz-Canel learns in London of British interest in strengthening ties with Cuba
- Faced with unacceptable conditions, Cuba decides to withdraw from Brazilian health care program
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3433
- today: 92
- online: 92
- total: 5337023