Workers Party (PT) Senator Lindbergh Farias
Brasilia, July 12 (RHC)-- Workers Party (PT) Senator Lindbergh Farias said that Brazilian justice is harassing the presidential candidacy of Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who is only 72 hours away from serving a hundred days in political prison in the city of Curitiba.
Farias made the statement on social media after the federal judge of Paraná, Carolina Lebbos, forbade the former president to film videos or grant interviews for his campaign.
The PT lawmaker also argued that the judge made decisions superseding the authority of the Superior Electoral Tribunal, before which his political alliance will register Lula´s official candidacy on July 15.
Lebbos justified her ruling on Wednesday, stating that there is no constitutional or legal provision to support the right of an inmate to grant interviews. However, the Law on Criminal Enforcement indicates that the inmate's contact with the outside world is through written correspondence, reading and other means of information.
Meanwhile, it has been disclosed that the Brazilian Superior Justice Tribunal has received some 145 habeas corpus petitions on behalf of the former president, following last week dramatic back-and forth between judges over his release from jail.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 27, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 27 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 26, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 26 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 25 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 25, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6682
- today: 1292
- online: 439
- total: 8034832