U.N. agency for Palestinians lays off hundreds as U.S. cuts funding. Photo: UNRWA logo
United Nations, August 6 (RHC)-- The United Nations agency assisting Palestinian refugees -- known as UNRWA -- has announced that it’s laying off 250 workers, after the Trump administration slashed $300 million in funding.
The announcement set off protests by trade unionists, who said as many as 1,000 people could ultimately be let go. In one incident, bystanders intervened to stop a fired UNRWA employee from setting himself ablaze, after he doused himself in gasoline in an apparent attempt at self-immolation.
One UNRWA employee, Amal al-Batsh, told reporters: “This is a humanitarian disaster. This is disrespectful to the people and to the workers who provide these services. The services are also under threat. What kind of services will UNRWA give after it fires its workers? I think there will be poor services in health and education that will not meet humane standards.”
- Cuban president pays tribute to Comandante Juan Almeida
- XXI edition of the Habano Festival opens its doors
- RHC's every other weekly program Focus on Africa
- Ultra-right, very active in Spain's elections
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Italian undersecretary of foreign affairs on official visit to Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3486
- today: 988
- online: 105
- total: 5654479