Pope Francis condemns abuse scandals in Catholic Church. Photo: EFE
Vatican City, October 5 (RHC)-- At the Vatican, Pope Francis has opened a month-long international gathering of bishops to discuss the ongoing sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church. Pope Francis condemned clericalism --which refers to the extreme deference to members of the clergy -- in his remarks.
Pope Francis said: “Clericalism is a perversion and is the root of many evils in the Church. We must humbly ask forgiveness for this and above all create the conditions so that it is not repeated.”
Meanwhile, a small group of clerical abuse survivors demonstrated near the staged official meeting, demanding their voices be heard and accusing church officials of hosting delegates who were involved in covering up abuse.
- Debates at ALBA Summit focus on regional situation
- RHC's national and international news stories Dec. 14
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3718
- today: 2221
- online: 107
- total: 6776495