German chancellor’s party loses power, Greens and far-Right party gain. Photo: AP
Berlin, October 17 (RHC)-- In Germany, the party of Chancellor Angela Merkel suffered losses in Bavarian regional elections that saw big gains for the Green Party, while the far-right AfD or “Alternative for Germany” party won enough votes to enter the state assembly for the first time.
The election threatens Merkel’s 13-year hold on power as German voters increasingly polarize over whether to allow in refugees and asylum-seekers.
The Bavarian elections came as nearly a quarter million people rallied in the German capital Berlin, protesting against racism, xenophobia and the rise of the AfD party.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 2, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 02, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 30, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for June 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing for June 29, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5747
- today: 4088
- online: 187
- total: 8258465