U.S. authorities investigating mail bombs targeting high-profile Democrats. Photo: EFE
Washington, October 26 (RHC)-- One man is in custody in the U.S. state of Florida in connection with an ongoing investigation of 12 bomb-like devices addressed to prominent Democrats, according to the Department of Justice and unnamed officials. Police said that the man has been identified as 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc.
The targets were all critics of U.S. President Donald Trump. The packages were sent to former President Barack Obama, former President Bill and Hillary Clinton, George Soros, former Attorney General Eric Holder, Congressmember Maxine Waters and former CIA Director John Brennan.
Authorities found two more suspicious packages Friday morning addressed to U.S. Senator Cory Booker and James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence.
CNN was forced to evacuate its New York office in Manhattan after it received what police described as a “live explosive device.” It came in a package addressed to Brennan that also held an envelope containing white powder.
Police are also investigating a suspicious package found early Thursday morning that was mailed to actor Robert De Niro’s restaurant in New York. De Niro has frequently publicly criticized Donald Trump.
No one was hurt in any of the cases. This all comes less than two weeks before the midterm elections in the United States.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4748
- today: 4738
- online: 124
- total: 6770556