German Chancellor Angela Merkel won’t run for re-election after losses. Photo: Reuters
Berlin, October 29 (RHC)-- German media is reporting that Chancellor Angela Merkel will not seek re-election when her term ends in 2021. Merkel will also not seek leadership of her party, the CDU, or Christian Democratic Union.
Political observers say that the announcement is intended to silence critics in her party and win back the voters who have deserted the CDU in favor of parties like AfD and the Greens, but it also reflects her dwindling grip on power.
Angela Merkel’s party suffered heavy losses in the state of Hesse Sunday, with the far-right AfD party making gains. Merkel has been leader of her party since 2000 and the German chancellor since 2005.
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 10, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 9, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 09, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing update for July 8, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 08, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for July 07, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6600
- today: 2650
- online: 218
- total: 8305621