"Sunrise" climate activists flood U.S. congress, demanding “Green New Deal” Photo: AFP
Washington, December 12 (RHC)-- Over 1,000 climate activists flooded Capitol Hill, demanding that lawmakers and likely incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi support a Green New Deal Committee proposed by Congressmember-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.
Over 140 people were reportedly arrested as members of the youth climate group Sunrise Movement occupied and lobbied at congressional offices. Twenty-six congressmembers have backed the formation of the Green New Deal Select Committee thus far, including Jim McGovern, the incoming chair of the House Rules Committee, who voiced his support after an exchange with activists yesterday. Pelosi’s office has said it will meet with representatives from Sunrise Movement.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 5024
- today: 174
- online: 174
- total: 6651239