"Sunrise" climate activists flood U.S. congress, demanding “Green New Deal” Photo: AFP
Washington, December 12 (RHC)-- Over 1,000 climate activists flooded Capitol Hill, demanding that lawmakers and likely incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi support a Green New Deal Committee proposed by Congressmember-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.
Over 140 people were reportedly arrested as members of the youth climate group Sunrise Movement occupied and lobbied at congressional offices. Twenty-six congressmembers have backed the formation of the Green New Deal Select Committee thus far, including Jim McGovern, the incoming chair of the House Rules Committee, who voiced his support after an exchange with activists yesterday. Pelosi’s office has said it will meet with representatives from Sunrise Movement.
- Academic says denial of entry visas to Cuban scholars to participate in LASA Congress in the US was politically motivated
- Cuban top leaders meet with visiting North Korean Worker´s Party vice president
- RHC's Caribbean Outlook Show
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: ALBA members must join forces to prevent a new imperialist military adventure in our region
- ALBA-TCP Political Council concerned about actions against regional peace and security
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3010
- today: 1415
- online: 120
- total: 5958031