"Sunrise" climate activists flood U.S. congress, demanding “Green New Deal” Photo: AFP
Washington, December 12 (RHC)-- Over 1,000 climate activists flooded Capitol Hill, demanding that lawmakers and likely incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi support a Green New Deal Committee proposed by Congressmember-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.
Over 140 people were reportedly arrested as members of the youth climate group Sunrise Movement occupied and lobbied at congressional offices. Twenty-six congressmembers have backed the formation of the Green New Deal Select Committee thus far, including Jim McGovern, the incoming chair of the House Rules Committee, who voiced his support after an exchange with activists yesterday. Pelosi’s office has said it will meet with representatives from Sunrise Movement.
- Diaz Canel: No imperialist policy will deter Cuba
- Miguel Díaz-Canel: Unity is our Revolution's most formidable and powerful strength
- Cuba and Puerto Rico: Two wings of the same bird
- Four Bronze medals for Cuba in Judo Grand Prix
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- Cuban Parliament meets in full for 3rd Ordinary session of 9th Legislature
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3811
- today: 594
- online: 102
- total: 6137922