U.S. Senate blocks anti-BDS legislation amid ongoing government shutdown. Photo: AP
Washington, January 9 (RHC)-- In the U.S. Senate, Democrats have blocked the first bill in the new session, which included the controversial Combating BDS Act. The legislation aims to prevent opposition to the Israeli government by allowing state and local governments to sanction any U.S. companies which are engaged in a boycott against Israel.
The bill received a 56-44 vote, falling short of the 60 needed to advance. Democrats say they will block the bill until the government shutdown is over.
- RHC's national and international news stories Sept. 23
- Notes on the Revolution Column / 9
- RHC's scientific and medical review
- Rosa Meneses Albizu-Campos: Cuba & Puerto Rico are two wings of the same bird
- Import tax war is escalating!
- Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez: expulsion of Cuban diplomats from UN further severs diplomatic ties
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3971
- today: 1047
- online: 123
- total: 6399844