Washington, May 14 (RHC)-- The U.S. House of Representatives passed a $19-billion relief bill, despite President Donald Trump’s objection to the package over its funding for assistance to Puerto Rico.
The legislation includes $600 million in nutrition assistance to the island—a number that Democrats previously said was too low to adequately aid the many Puerto Ricans still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Maria. A similar proposal in the Senate stalled last month.
Trump has continuously lashed out at Puerto Rico’s political leaders, accusing them of misusing federal funds. Last year, he reportedly told White House officials he wanted to withhold any additional recovery assistance from the island.
- RHC's national and international news stories August 17
- RHC's national and international news stories August-16
- RHC's Arts Roundup August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August 15
- RHC's sports report TIME OUT August 15
- RHC's national and international news stories August-14
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 3215
- today: 2629
- online: 122
- total: 6260923