Mexico City, April 29 (Xinhua -RHC) -- The mayor of central Mexico's shipping port of Lazaro Cardenas was arrested on Monday on charges of collaborating in drug trafficking and other crimes, Excelsior daily newspaper reported.
Mayor Arquimedes Oseguera Solorio was detained early on Monday in Lazaro Cardenas in the state of Michoacan and taken to the state capital of Morelia to face charges, the state commissioner for security and development, Alfredo Castillo Cervantes, informed the daily.
"In following up investigations related to the work and actions of diverse public servants, the Attorney General's Office on Monday morning arrested the mayor of Lazaro Cardenas, Arquimedes Oseguera, for his probable ties to the leader of the state's criminal organization, as well as his probable participation in the crimes of kidnapping and extortion," the newspaper reported on its website.
Oseguera was allegedly in collaboration with Mexico's notorious 'Knights Templar' drug cartel in the central state of Michoacan. He is the second mayor in Michoacan arrested in the past 15 days, the daily said.
- Welcome to a new edition of the Jazz Place
- Minister Bruno Rodríguez: No Cuban family has escaped the impact of the US blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 6
- Successive US administrations have sought to suffocate the Cuban economy for purely political reasons
- Washington’s hostile Cuba policy amounts to a fierce economic, trade and financial blockade
- RHC's national and international news stories Nov. 5
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4748
- today: 4737
- online: 119
- total: 6770555