Brasilia, May 22 (RHC)-- Brazil registered a record of 1,188 daily coronavirus deaths on Thursday, with more than 20,000 total fatalities from the coronavirus outbreak, the Health Ministry said.
Brazil now has 310,087 confirmed cases, the ministry said, just a few thousand fewer than world No 2 hot spot Russia, which trails the United States.
In related news, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, a long-running advocate of malaria drug chloroquine to treat COVID-19, said he knew there was no proof it works, but said there are cases in which it appears to have been successful.
Bolsonaro, an ideological ally of U.S. President Donald Trump who has also touted the drug for preventive use, has been widely criticized for his handling of the outbreak and his continued opposition to restrictions on movement he sees as too damaging to the economy.
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 25 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 25, 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 24 , 2020
- RHC´s English language broadcast for May 23 , 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 23, 2020
- COVID-19 Media Briefing by Dr. Francisco Duran May 22, 2020
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 6936
- today: 2039
- online: 298
- total: 8022349