Madrid, June 9 (RHC)-- Tens of thousands of people rallied in Spain over the weekend as part of a continued push for a referendum on ending the monarchy.
Anti-monarchy demonstrations have erupted since King Juan Carlos announced plans to abdicate the throne to his son Prince Felipe last week. The king was selected by dictator Francisco Franco and crowned after Franco’s death in 1975.
Meanwhile in the northern Basque region, an estimated 100,000 people held hands on Sunday to form a giant human chain calling for a vote on independence.
- U.S. congressional delegation wraps up visit to Cuba
- Activists urge protest actions to demand closure of Guantánamo Naval Base
- Argentina, in the claws of the vultures!
- RHC's Segment 'The Voice of José Martí'
- RHC's Mailbag Show
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with President Raúl Castro, speaks to the media in Havana
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4312
- today: 2382
- online: 114
- total: 4372707