Portland, June 11 (RHC)-- A high school student has been killed and a teacher wounded in a school shooting in the U.S. state of Oregon that also left the gunman dead.
According to reports, a former student entered Reynolds High School and opened fire before turning the gun on himself. The student victim was identified as Emilio Hoffman, a 14-year-old freshman.
It was at least the 74th school shooting in the U.S. since the Newtown massacre that left 26 dead in December 2012. It came on the same day that U.S. President Barack Obama urged a national "soul-searching" on gun control, calling Congressional inaction a source of "shame."
Amid a spate of deadly shootings, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says the Senate could revive a vote on the failed effort to expand background checks and ban assault rifles. The measure was introduced after the Newtown massacre but collapsed in the Senate a year ago this April.
- The nuclear phantom flies again
- Visiting US congressional delegation meets with foreign ministry officials
- RHC's Arts Roundup
- RHC's Regular Program DXERS UNLIMITED, with Professor Arnaldo 'Arnie' Coro
- RHC's Music Program 'From Havana' (Aragón Orchestra)
- U.S. Congressional Delegation Visits Cuba
- Max: 19729
- yesterday: 4641
- today: 152
- online: 128
- total: 4361634